SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday 14 April 2017

Book Review: Baby Doll by Hollie Overton


She kept moving forward. She didn't stop. She didn't look back.

Lily has been abducted from outside her high-school gates. For eight long years she's been locked away from the outside world. During that time she's changed from a girl into a woman. She's had a baby. And now she has seized her chance and escaped. Running for her life, with her daughter in her arms, she returns to her family and the life she used to know - to her much-loved twin sister Abby, her mum, her high-school boyfriend - and her freedom.

But is it possible to go back? 

Lily's perfect life as a teenager doesn't exist any more. Since she's been gone, her family's lives have changed too, in ways she never could have imagined. Her return, and the revelation of who took her, will send shockwaves through the whole community.


I feel like this book should come with a trigger warning. For someone who considers themselves a pretty unshockable reader, this book shocked me. Covering not only sexual abuse and rape, but also self-harm and suicide, you can't go into this book expecting an easy read! 

I actually went into this book with trepidation. Although I was excited to read Baby Doll, after reading the blurb and immediately popping it in my basket, I'd read mixed reviews for the book (including this one from the lovely Kirsty!) I didn't know what to expect. But as the story unfolded, I found myself totally glued to the book; and I couldn't put it down! 

Baby Doll doesn't shy away from the action. Opening with a fast-paced, thrilling chapter (that had me on the edge of my seat - literally!) the novel continues in the same vein. There's never a dull moment, as my grandma would say! The story kept me guessing throughout, and was really exciting, despite being hard to stomach at times. There were a lot of characters to keep up with, especially as most of them had their own POV chapters, but I felt that having those chapters from the points of view of the main characters really added to the story. My only complaint lies with the ending; which felt sudden, and like it had ended all too soon. In fact, I turned the page, fully expecting a few more pages, at least. But it had to end somewhere, right? I thought enough this novel to award it a full five stars; making it one of my favourite books of 2017! 

Rating: *****

Post a Comment