SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday 16 June 2017

Book Review: Into The Water by Paula Hawkins


Beware a calm surface - you never know what lies beneath.

A single mother turns up dead at the bottom of the river that runs through town. Earlier in the Summer, a vulnerable teenage girl met the same fate. They are not the first women lost to these dark waters, but their deaths disturb the river and its history, dredging up secrets long submerged.

Left behind is a lonely fifteen-year-old girl. Parentless and friendless, she now finds herself in the care of her mother's sister, a fearful stranger who has been dragged back to the place she deliberately ran from - a place to which she vowed she'd never return.


If you haven't heard of the bestselling novel, The Girl On The Train, then where the hell have you been?! Paula Hawkins debut novel was a roaring success, and was quickly adapted for the big screen. And as of last month, Paula's back with her second novel; one as twisty and as gripping as the first.

What a twisty, chilling, gripping, thrilling novel this is! Into The Water takes you on an investigative journey, as it puts every local resident under the microscope for you to examine. And then, just when you think you've got it all figured out, the story takes a different route and all your suspicions are thrown to the wind. I'm pretty sure only the sharpest minds could conceive of the ending; and, in fact, I was so thrown as I read the final chapters that, after reading the final page I picked up the book and read it again, from cover-to-cover! In the second read-through I picked up on all the clues I'd missed before, pointing me in the right direction. And after putting the book down for the second time, I felt like all my questions had been answered. 

Into The Water proves that Paula Hawkins is no one trick pony, and I'll be keeping an eye out for any future books from this author! 

Post a Comment