SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday 9 June 2017

Book Review: Let The Dead Speak by Jane Casey


When eighteen-year-old Chloe Emery returns to her West London home she finds her mother missing, the house covered in blood. Everything points to murder, except for one thing: there's no sign of the body.

London detective Maeve Kerrigan and the homicide team turn their attention to the neighbours. The ultra-religious Norris's are acting suspiciously; their teenage daughter and Chloe Emery definitely have something to hide. Then there's William Turner, once accused of stabbing a schoolmate and the neighbourhood's favourite criminal. Is he merely a scapegoat, or is there more behind the charismatic façade? 

As a body fails to materialise, Maeve must piece together a patchwork of testimonies and accusations. Who is lying, and who is not? And soon Maeve starts to realise that not only will the answer lead to Kate Emery, but more lives may hang in the balance.


I didn't realise that Let The Dead Speak, by Jane Casey, was book seven in the Maeve Kerrigan series. But it's important to note that this book, and probably it's predecessors, can be read out of sequence. I didn't feel out of my depth at all; and there seemed to be little to no references to previous books throughout this novel. 

I found Let The Dead Speak to be gripping right from the opening page. It kept me guessing, and when I wasn't reading the book, I was thinking about it. Trying to piece together all the clues. And every single time I thought I'd figured this murder mystery out, it went down a completely different road and threw me off the scent completely. Such a complex, intriguing and thrilling novel; one that I could really sink my teeth into. And one that, for the first time in so long, I hadn't guessed the ending for before I got there! Hurrah for surprise endings! 


Rating: ****

Post a Comment