SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday 11 March 2016

Read In February//March TBR!

Some of the more astute among you may have noticed from the title that I'm combining, what are usually, two posts into one. That's because February was the worst month for reading, EVER. I know, I know. Every month I say something similar. But this month, this month I really mean it. Which is why I'm combining the two posts into one. Because there's definitely not enough content for a whole blog post about the few books I did manage to read in February! Which were....


First up, "The Tinder Box" by Hans Christian Andersen. I started February off with a few of these Penguin Little Black Classics, as I was playing catch up after what I thought was a bad but was really a half-decent reading month in January. Yeah, compared to February, January was bloody glorious! What to say about it? I liked it, it was a collection of Andersen's much-loved fairytales, and I like fairytales. My rating? 4 stars.


More fairytales. This time in the form of "The Robber Bridegroom" by Brothers Grimm. I love Brothers Grimm. I remember reading many of their stories when I was just a little kid. To revisit them as an adult was pretty cool. Some of the stories were very different to how I remembered them, like Snowwhite, which I expected to be just like Snow White, the movie, but definitely was not. Overall? 4 stars.


This one I'm sad about. You see, I really wanted to like Poe. When I was in Year Nine, I think, at school, I was awarded a prize for something. Most improvement, or something like that. I don't really remember. What I do remember is receiving a book token as the prize; and what better prize could there have been for me, really?! And I went out and bought a collection of Poe's works. Then never read them. Then lost them. So when Penguin Little Black Classics bought out "The Tell Tale Heart" by Edgar Allan Poe, I decided now was the time to read him. And honestly? I hated it. I found it slow, tedious, even boring. Controversial, I know. But the truth. My rating? 3 stars. I couldn't give it less because, ya know, it's Poe...

And now onto the books I'm planning to read this month!


From left to right...

"Too Good to be True" by Ann Cleeves
"A Baby at the Beach Cafe" by Lucy Diamond
"I am Malala" by Malala Yousafazi
"The Anniversary" by Assorted 

These first four are all "Quick Reads," so I'm hoping to read through them, well, quickly (!) and get on to the other books in the pile. Which are...

"Confessions of a Tinderella" by Rosy Edwards 
"Am I Normal Yet" by Holly Bourne
"Imperium" by Robert Harris
"Panic" by Lauren Oliver

Because I have so many hardbacks (and my bookshelves are very low, so I lack storage for hardbacks) I'm trying to read at least one hardback a week. I just thought you'd like to know that little tidbit of information about my reading habits!

Also, I'm pleased to report that, at the time of publishing this post (because I was a little late to the party this month), I had read the first four books in the pile (the Quick Reads - which I read in one day!) and am on to "Confessions of a Tinderella." Let's hope I can keep the pace up this month. I need to make up for February! 

What are you reading this month? Have you read any of the books in my read, or to read, pile? If so, what did you think? Let me know in the comments below. I love hearing from you!

Post a Comment