SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday 6 September 2015

National Read A Book Day!

adult, blur, book

Did you know that today is National Read A Book Day*? It seems like every day is National something day, but National Read A Book Day is one I can really get behind, as someone who loves reading! Some of you reading this post are probably keen readers; cramming in as much reading time as you possibly can! Others, perhaps, are not so keen. Some of you may love reading, but find it difficult to fit it into your busy day. Whatever category of reader, or non-reader, you fall into though, my goal here today is to encourage you to pick up a book. Are you sitting comfortably? Good, then let's begin.
As a child, I would read before bed every night. Before I could read, my mother would read to me, or with me. I vividly remember my mum settling me into bed, switching on my lamp, and telling me I had half-an-hour to read before lights out. And then, half an hour later after lights out, I would wait until I heard her bedroom door click, pull out my torch from under the bed, and sneak in a few more chapters! These were a few of my favourites growing up;




Roald Dahl, Enid Blyton, Jacqueline Wilson, Meg Cabot, J.K. Rowling; just some of my favourite authors growing up. I'll never forget their books, and I can't wait to share them with my own children later down the line. I like to think my own children will be sneaking in a few extra chapters by torchlight after I've told them lights out, too!

Nowadays though, I'm exhausted by the time bedtime rolls around, and the last thing I want to do is read even a few chapters. I imagine I'm not the only one with this problem? But there are so many reasons why reading before bed is good for you!

Person Holding and Reading Book during Daytime
  • Reading can help you relax - one study shows that reading may reduce stress by up to 68 per cent. And we all know that stress hampers our ability to get a goods night sleep, so being relaxed helps! 
  • Reading before bed can help you sleep - this is because reading before bed creates a ritual which signals to your body that it's time to wind down and go to sleep. This wind-down ritual can actually help you fall asleep faster, and enjoy a better quality of sleep throughout the night!
  • Reading reduces cortisol levels - and although cortisol isn't always a bad thing, high levels of it can wreak havoc on the body. The effect of reading on stress, see the first point, means your cortisol levels lower. The result? A better nights sleep! 
  • Reading may improve your empathy - scientists believe reading literary fiction before bed makes you more likely to understand others emotions and mental processes, which can help improve your relationships! 
The biggest reason to read a book before bed though, is that for many of us, an hour before bed is the only time we'll get all day to read a book. In between working, making time for family and friends, and the everyday tasks, reading is one of the first things to be pushed aside. But it has so many mental and physical health benefits. So why not pick up a book tonight? 

White Teddy Bear Reading Book

Tell me what you're reading, and if you'll be reading it before bed tonight! <3

This post bought to you in celebration with Casper - who want to provide you with the best nights sleep on their comfy mattresses; night after night! So dedicated, in fact, that they offer to sing you a lullaby, or read you a bedtime story, if you ring their helpline! Pretty cool, I think. 


Information & statistics taken from Real Simple and Bedroom Furniture.

*post produced in association with Casper

Post a Comment