SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday 12 September 2016

26 things in 26 years!

Black Box With Green Bow Accent

Okay, so it's not technically my birthday yet. But it will be in around three hours! And so I decided to write something a little different tonight; you know, to celebrate! "26 things in 26" is a list post of the lessons I've learned in my 26 years; along with a few significant achievements thrown in for good measure! So, let's get started! 

1. Be nice. You catch more flies with honey, than with vinegar!

2. Earned my Certificate of Higher Education. It's nowhere near as impressive as a degree, admittedly, but given the mental health problems I had whilst at uni, it's a massive achievement to me!

3. Eat right. Your skin will thank you for it!

4. Got my first job after uni. Leaving uni, whether after graduation or otherwise, and finding a job is hard. I'm proud to say I did it! 

5. Take care of your body. It becomes that much harder to lose weight when you hit the big 3-0, or so I've been told you. Do your future self a favour, and start taking care of your body now!

6. Beat depression. 

7. Make the effort. Whether that's to keep in touch with your friends, or make new ones. Visit family, or get to know your in-laws. It pays to make an effort in everything you do. 

8. Got a new job after my battle with depression. Depression saw me signed off work for 2+ years. But I made my way back into employment, and I'm super happy at my new job! 

9. Don't take anything for granted. Remember; nothing in life is guaranteed. Always be grateful for what you have.

10. Bought a house. 

11. Don't put off until tomorrow what can be done today. It's a cliche, but it's true. If you're struggling with motivation, try making a to-do list. You can't beat the feeling of ticking something off!

12. Got a cat. I feel like this should be somewhere up there with having a child, to be honest. It's not as easy as it sounds! 

13. Learn to say no. It's okay to say no. Which leads me onto...

14. Remember to put yourself first. Sometimes you need that 30 minute soak in a Lush bath. Or that hour in bed catching up with your favourite TV series.

15. Got engaged. 

16. Don't worry. Be happy! It's true, though. How many people do you know who'd say worrying actually makes them happier? It's a waste of time, so stop it! 

17. Started learning to drive. Two years ago, when my mental health problems were at their worst, I wouldn't have even considered this. My first lesson, and the ones after it, are evidence of just how far I've come! 

18. Be thankful. 

19. Bought a car. Pre-emptively, maybe. I'd only had one driving lesson! 

20. Don't neglect your physical health. Don't ever feel like you're bothering your doctor. I mean, if you just have indigestion, you don't need a GP appointment. Use some common sense. But smear tests? Don't avoid them. Headache, lasting for longer than 24 hours? Book an appointment. 

21. And don't neglect your mental health, either. It's hard; going to the doctor to talk about mental health issues. But never, ever avoid it! In most cases, you'll find your GP to be very kind and understanding. 

22. Passed my driving test! 

23. It's okay to cry. 

24. Life is meant to be enjoyed. If you enjoy a pizza on a Saturday night, or a glass of wine of an evening; just do it!

25. Time really does move faster, the older you get!

26. Celebrated my 26th birthday! 

I feel like I've learned a lot in my 26 years, and my life has changed so much. All for the better, of course. I hope you enjoyed this little insight into my life over the years! Let me know if any of the lessons resonated with you. Or share your own life lessons with me in the comments; I'd love to hear them!

Post a Comment